Invasive Plant Control Technician – Seasonal
Trillium ISM, INC practices invasive plant management in New York State, primarily in the Hudson Valley region. The applicant will have the opportunity to travel throughout the region and work in many of our area’s parks and preserves. We take pride in being capable at implementing a wide range of control techniques and are seeking a motivated, skilled individual to aid in the implementation of land restoration and invasive plant control projects.
Duties will involve field work (from the hand removal of plants, to the use of machinery and herbicide applications) and maintenance of equipment but also may include GPS/GIS work, report writing, and management plan development. Season ends approximately in mid-October.
This is a full-time, seasonal position that may require some weekend work. Part-time work may also be available for the right individual. The ideal candidate will have the following qualifications.
- B.S. in Natural Resources, or equivalent, preferred.
- NYDEC licensed technician or applicator preferred but not required, training will be provided as required.
Knowledge, Skills and Experience:
- Previous experience managing invasive plants preferred.
- Knowledge of plants and their identification.
- Specific knowledge of invasive species both widespread and emerging in our region.
- Field identification of native plants.
- Knowledge and understanding of habitat communities in the Hudson Valley.
- Training in chainsaw use and safety.
- Experience with small engine use and maintenance.
- Experience with ATV operation.
- Experience with field grade GPS (trimble) and GIS.
- Experience with Microsoft Office suite.
- Ability to navigate steep slopes on uneven terrain while carrying a backpack weighing ~35lbs.
- Ability to lift 50 pounds.
- Valid US driver’s license.
Hourly, rate commensurate with experience. Opportunity for overtime and bonus pay.
To apply contact Thomas Lewis at email@example.com with a cover letter and resume.